Sunday, October 30, 2011

Helpful Tips and Tricks

     Since I didn't cook anything special tonight for dinner because it is left over night I thought I would give a couple tips and tricks that maybe you have and maybe you have not heard of to help make life a little easier on you and on your pocket book. I don't know about you but I like it when I can save myself a little money, because as far as I am concerned every little bit helps (and adds up).

     First on the list is a little trick to help measure sticky ingredients. It seems that when ever a recipe calls for a sticky ingredient such as honey more of it gets left behind in the measuring cup then actually gets in the bowl. Before I transitioned over to the Paleo side I use to use spray veg oil in the measuring cup but now that I do the best I can to avoid veg oil of any kind. I found that if you fill the measuring cup with the hottest possible tap water and let it sit for a minute the dump it out right before your going to measure your sticky stuff and suprisingly it will slide right out.


     I don't know about you but I hate it when I have a recipe that calls for on Tbs. or two of tomato paste then you are left with the rest of the can and don't know what to do with it so it usually ends up in the trash. Tha really pisses me off but since I don't use it that often I never know what to do with it till I learned this little trick. Take a cookie sheet lined with wax paper (or something similar) and measure out a Tbs at a time when you have used all the paste stick your in the freezer until frozen solid the place in a zip lock bag or other container. These will store in the freezer for up to three months. So the next time your making some of that chili, soups, or stews you will be all set.


     If you like me and grow your own herbs or just happened to buy to much, but don't want it to go to waste here is one of my favorite ways to save them. First chop up your  herbs and mix them in to some softened butter ( I prefer Kerry Gold), after you have them throughly mixed together use parchment paper to roll into a log. After you have the desired shape and lenght you want wrap it in plastic wrap and place it in the freezer, it will last up to three months with no problem. The fat in the butter will preserve the herbs' fresh flavors. You can cut off a slice or two and enjoy on a juicy steak, fish, burgers or even soup.
Don't be afaird to try to mix some of your herbs' togther for a different taste and effect.
Suggested herbs' to use:
Rosemary, chives, thyme, flat leaf parsley, oregano, dill, chevril, garlic chives

Oh and if you want to make it look a little fancy after you have it in the plastic wrap you can do like I do sometimes and roll it over a thin bamboo mat to give it that professional look before you freeze it.

     If you have some tips or tricks that you would like to share I would love to hear them and I am sure others would as well, so I will be looking forward to hearing from you :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment